Need a free
MP3 Player to listen to these clips ?
Audio Segments and Illustrations #2
Using NoteTab & Basic HTML
Audio (4.6M 10mins 4sec)
- Embedded Tags
<> are used for embedded tags
<> </> start and end tags
HTML is a document-layout and hyperlink-specification language
it defines syntax and placement of special, embedded directions
that are not displayed by the browser. Tells the browser how to
display the contents of the document, including text, images,
and other support media.
Order of Precedence (p. 201-202)
Audio (896k 1:54)
Arrays (p. 245, 289)
Audio (4.8M 10:38)
Tools: WinSCP and Putty
Audio (928k 1:59)
- PuttySSH (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty)
- WinSCP (http://winscp.vse.cz/eng)
- Mac OSX Users try: Fugu and your terminal program using the ssh command (enter 'man ssh' for details).
Creating the test.php page and uploading it
Audio (1.5M 3:25)
- Create the following HTML using NoteTab and save the file as test.php.
<p>This is an HTML Line</p>
<p>This is a PHP line</p>";
- Accessing Host Server using WinSCP
- Run winscp3
- Press New and in the login window enter the following information.
- Account is your last name.
- password was set by you in class. If you lose your password, send me an e-mail and I can reset it.
- You must select SFTP for the connection to work.
- Press Login
- WinScp should ask you to confirm the system as secure. Press YES.
- You will now get the WinSCP file transfer screen.
The left window contains the files on your computer. The right window contains the files on the remote site - your account on elm.cecs.unt.edu. All files for this course will be placed inside the public_html directory.
- Double click on public_html in the right window
- Using the left window, find the file you created in the first steps - test.php
- Drag the file from the left window into the right window -- this will copy the file to the remote system.
- To access the page, open a browser and enter a URL. For my account, it is http://elm.cecs.unt.edu/~gjones/test.php. This is is how to access my index page under the directory public_html in my unix account. Replace my account name 'gjones' with your account name to get access to your html files.
Note: The following audio uses a different system name.
Audio (272k 0:35)
- If you receive an error about the file not being able to be read or found, then check the permissions of the file. Right click on test.php in the right window and be sure that read (r) is set for all groups. Try to access the file again.
- To create a home page, create a index.html file and place it inside the public_html directory. I can access mine with the following URL http://elm.cecs.unt.edu/~gjones/index.html.
- Unix commands - available under PuttySH
Audio (1.1M 2:32)
[gjones@elm gjones]$ ls
cgi public_html test.html test.pl
- ls -lag
[gjones@saturn gjones]$ ls -lag
drwxr-x--x 4 gjones gjones 4096 Sep 26 08:55 .
drwxr-xr-x 30 root root 4096 Sep 26 08:11 ..
-rw------- 1 gjones gjones 953 Sep 27 05:48 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 gjones gjones 24 Sep 23 05:28 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 gjones gjones 191 Sep 23 05:28 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r-- 1 gjones gjones 124 Sep 23 05:28 .bashrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 gjones gjones 854 Sep 23 05:28 .emacs
-rw-r--r-- 1 gjones gjones 118 Sep 23 05:28 .gtkrc
drwxr-xr-x 3 gjones gjones 4096 Sep 23 05:28 .kde
drwxr-xr-x 2 gjones root 4096 Sep 26 04:16 public_html
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 44 Sep 23 06:09 test.html
Audio (504k 1:04)
[gjones@elm gjones]$ cd public_html
[gjones@elm public_html]$ cd ..
Audio (444k 0:57)
chmod a+rx test.pl
Audio (204k 0:26)
- Three important things to remember
Audio (808k 1:43)
- Remember where you are uploading your files.
- Remember which file you are working on.