Assignment #1 - Install Server, User Accounts, SSH/SFTP Service, Firewall
Due Date: January 25, 2007
Value: 10 points total
- Send the instructor an e-mail with the URL of the first half of the assignment (web pages). firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post an e-mail to the class list containing the written part of the assignment (part 2). Use the following subject line: Your Name - Assignment 1
Part 1 (7 pts)
Install RedHat Fedora on your assigned server.
- Format Your Server (as assigned by groups - see schedule notes)
- Install and Configure Fedora as per the readings
- Assign IP and DNS information to get workstation apps operational (provided by Dr. Jones)
- Create User Accounts for Team and Instructor
- Ensure SSH, SFTP works
- Turn off ROOT login on SSH (see schedule notes)
- All services except SSH should be turned off
- Basic Firewall Operational
- Patching Complete (with yum -- see schedule notes)
- Configure sendmail to send mail via mailhost (see schedule notes)
Part 2 (3 pts)
- Locate and read, from any professional conference/journal/article, two articles relevant to the area of OpenSource. Write a two paragraph review for each article. The 1st paragraph should describe the contents of the article. The 2nd paragraph should be your reaction to the article. Do not forget to include the reference cite. Use APA format.
- Reply to at least two postings in a meaningful manner. Be sure to include
your name in the subject line like: Re: There Name - Assignment #1 - Your Name