Assignment #1 - Accessing Server, SSH/SFTP Service, Firewall, and More
Due Date: February 16, 2009
Value: 10 points total
- Send the instructor an e-mail with the first days LOGWATCH output that shows that sendmail and yum update were accomplished. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post an e-mail to the class list containing the written part of the assignment (part 2). Use the following subject line: Your Name - Assignment 1
Part 1 (7 pts)
- Access your System using SSH (the instructor will e-mail privately the account information)
- Learn the shell command interface
- Change Your Password (locate the command to change your password)
- Learn to use the vi editor. Upload a text file and edit it.
- Learn to navigate the file system via the command line
- Learn to use SFTP, upload and download files to your account
- Change into root user from local account
- Learn the yum utility which is how you install and update your system remotely (see schedule notes)
- Using yum, 1) complete the "yum update" and 2) install sendmail
- Configure sendmail to send mail via mailhost (see schedule notes)
Part 2 (3 pts)
- Locate and read, from any professional conference/journal/article, two articles relevant to the area of OpenSource. Write a two paragraph review for each article. The 1st paragraph should describe the contents of the article. The 2nd paragraph should be your reaction to the article. Do not forget to include the reference cite. Use APA format.
- Reply to at least two postings in a meaningful manner. Be sure to include
your name in the subject line like: Re: There Name - Assignment #1 - Your Name