Assignment #3 - Satellite Communications
Due Date: March 12
Value: 12 points total
- Post to the forums containing the written parts of the assignment.
- Reminder: First part of assignment 5 (abstract) is due.
- Satellites (4 pts)
- Post to the forum the following information
- How do geosync satellites work
- Provide details about transmission times, bandwidth, speed, and other details you can find
- From these postings on satellite communications and the materials provided in the book, be prepared to answer the following question on the quiz
- Calculate how long in seconds a (full duplex) computer connection would take to echo back from an mainframe in Honolulu (to Dallas) if the connection was
- a) undersea cable vs.
- b) geostationary satellite.
- Hint: the book talks about this in detail.
- Explain your answer
- Provide your calculations
- Satellites and the Internet (4 pts)
- Pick two of the following and post to the forum information about. Compose your answer in 3-4 paragraphs.
- Hughes Net high-speed data link might not be the best Internet Service Provider (ISP) to hook up with if your primary use is participating in on-line real-time collaborative communications?
- Look at Bill Gates' proposal of a few years back for 800 low earth orbit satellites for multimedia access.
- Are there any new satellites providing Internet access currently?
- Is the new airline-based system satellite based ?
- Reply to at least two postings in a meaningful manner.
- future of satellite communications (4 pts)
- Locate and read, from any professional conference, journal, article, online source, two articles relevant to the topic of the future of satellite communications. Write a two paragraph review for each article. The 1st paragraph should describe the contents of the article. The 2nd paragraph should be your reaction to the article. Do not forget to include the reference cite. Use APA format.