Assignment #1 - Accessing Server, SSH/SFTP Service, Firewall, and More
Due Date: January 30
Value: 10 points total
- Complete Student Information Sheet
- Post a welcome/introduction message to the moodle forum, should contain
- Your name and a little about yourself
- What you hope to get out of the course
- Acknowledging that you understand the syllabus and schedule for the semester
- Post to the assignment forum the first days LOGWATCH output that shows that sendmail and yum update were accomplished. Be sure to use the server name in the message topic.
- Post a message to the moodle containing the written part of the assignment (part 2).
Part 3 (7 pts)
- Access your System using SSH (the instructor will post privately the account information to your group)
- Learn the shell command interface
- Change Your Password (locate the command to change your password)
- Learn to use the vi editor. Upload a text file and edit it.
- Learn to navigate the file system via the command line
- Learn to use SFTP, upload and download files to your account
- Change into root user from local account
- Create explicit SSH user file to limit access on SSH to assigned users
- Add user accounts to 'sudoers' file
- Configure sendmail to send mail via mailhost (see schedule notes)
- Learn the yum utility which is how you install and update your system remotely (see schedule notes)
- Using yum, 1) complete the "yum update" and 2) install sendmail
Part 4 (3 pts)
- Locate and read, from any professional conference/journal/article, two articles relevant to the area of OpenSource. Write a two paragraph review for each article. The 1st paragraph should describe the contents of the article. The 2nd paragraph should be your reaction to the article. Do not forget to include the reference cite. Use APA format.
- Reply to at least two postings in a meaningful manner.