Assignment #2 - Discuss and describe bandwidth issues and their impact in education.
Due Date: July 8, 2007
Value: 15 points total
The following assignment requires two postings and two replies.
First posting - Pick four question from the following list to answer in your posting:
- What is bandwidth in terms of telecommunications?
- Why is the theoretical limit on the speed of a traditional telephpone modem in the neighborhood of 28.8-56K?
- What is the baudrate of a 1200baud modem, 2400bps modem, 56k bps modem?
- What is the difference between baud and bit rate?
- Why do cable modems, FIOS, or DSL not have to comply with the limit above for telephone modems?
- Why is bandwidth a consideration in an educational setting? Give examples.
Second posting, choose one of the following topics and provide a complete and in-depth review and discussion of the topic. A minimum of 5-6 paragraphs is expected.
- What is the Digital Divide and how is it tied to the question above on bandwidth?
- If the Digital Divide exists, should educators be worried about it? How does it impact your school or classroom?
- How much bandwidth to the Internet does your school have? What is it being used for? Do you have extra bandwidth? If so, what would you use the extra bandwidth to do in your class?
- How does bandwidth impact the selection for tools that could be used in a distance education program? Give examples.
- Which has more bandwidth? A DVD (assume it is 4.2Gb storage) mailed to a student or a student having access to a 56Kbps dialup (assume that it is 33Kbps throughput) for 20 hours? Provide your math solution and explain how you figured it. Why might you use one media delivery over the other?
On your group's on-line discussion system reply to at least two postings on this assignment. Provide meaningful comments.