Assignment #5 - Paper on a Data Communications System
Due Date: July 11 (Part 1) and August 8 (Part 2)
Value: 14 points total
- Post your abstract (due with Assignment 3) for approval by the course instructor.
- Post your paper as a MS WORD document to the correct course forum.
- Topic Selection, Abstract, and Instructor Approval (4 pts)
- The abstract should contain the following items and be posted to the correct forum.
- Topic Title
- 1-3 paragraphs describing what your paper will be about and cover
- The Title and Abstract will be used by the instructor to approve your final paper topic.
- Topic Selection:
- Select a data or telecommunications system to do research on and write a paper about.
- A system is the equipment and software that allows data or telecommunications to happen.
- The focus of the paper is on the data or telecom function - the technology not the use. For example, cable TV is a system. You watch cable TV. Don't submit an abstract about how cable TV is watched. Submit an abstract that focuses/describes the cable TV system
- What it is? (hardware and software)
- How it works? (the system works)
- Who uses it? (this should not be the bulk of any paper)
- Some part of the paper should discuss educational/learning applications.
- The majority of the paper needs to discuss the data or telecommunications systems.
- The Internet as a system is to large for 1500 words.
- You have to pick something smaller/narrower.
- You could pick some small system aspect of the Internet to examine like -- WiFi or the future of Balloons to provide Internet to Rural areas...etc.
- We will discuss the final paper more during our online course sessions.
- You are writing an expository paper for your peers explaining how the data/telecom communications system selected works and why it is important to education/training/teaching/learning/society.
- Topics might include
- High Definition TV
- Family Radio Service
- Amateur Radio Satellites
- Cellular Network
- Robotic spacecraft
- Things that are not systems
- Any application that uses the Internet for its communications
- Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Web Browsers
Part 2 - Paper (10 pts)
This is a formal paper. Please follow these common rules:
- Avoid personalizing the paper and avoid using the word, "I". Although you are posting a final copy, this paper should not be in the form and tone of your discussions posts.
- This is a research/informational paper, do not include opinions until the conclusion of the paper. This means avoiding, "I think" and "I believe" in the main body of the text.
- All statement of fact and any conclusions must be based on facts, which means facts and conclusions should be referenced in APA format.
- Review the rules on APA grammar especially the comma rule.
- If you do not know how to make an APA reference, please don't guess. The online APA reference and using google should be able to get you to the correct format of a reference. APA also offers a tutorial.
- As this is a research paper, you must have references. To avoid plagiarism, take careful notes as you research to keep track of all sources and collect the information you need to cite them properly. When your final paper is run through turnitin, then anything it finds as existing materials from the Internet or another paper is perfectly valid if you have cited/referenced the information. This final paper is about learning something new and writing about it in order to create new knowledge that is shared. While the paper needs to be in your words (i.e. don't copy and paste), we expect that you have had to research the information in the paper, thus requiring references to be cited.
Elements of the paper assignment include:
- Write a 1500 word paper on the topic approved by the instructor. Word count does not include title page or references.
- Paper should include references as necessary
- Paper should be in APA format
- References: there is not maximum limit on references, you may not have less than 5 references.
- Paper uploaded to forum must be in MS word format (.doc or .docx)